The prophetic scriptures forewarn us of an apocalyptic period ofter referred to as the Great Tribulation.
However, John states that the Most High has prepared “a place,” where the needs of the twelve tribes of Israel and those called Gentiles will be taken care of…
- And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there for 1260 days.
Revelation 12:6 KJVm
…and protected from Satan’s reach for the 1260 days of the Great Tribulation period.
- The woman was given the two wings of a great eagle, so that she might fly to the place prepared for her in the wilderness, where she would be taken care of for a time, times and half a time, out of the serpent’s reach.
Revelation 12:14 NIV
Determining the location of this place of refuge will be the focus of this article.
WITHIN THE LAND OF ISRAEL
According to the prophets, The Most High is predicted to gather Israel back to the land of Israel.
- And you shall know that I am the Lord , when I will bring you into the land of Israel, into the country for the which I lifted up mine hand to give it to your fathers.
Ezekiel 20:42 KJVm
TWO THIRDS WILL BE CUT OFF
According to Zechariah, two thirds of the inhabitants of the land of Israel will be cut off suggesting that the entire Land of Israel will not be a safe haven.
- And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, the Lord is my God.
Zechariah 13: 8-9 KJVm
Unfortunately, there are many people that believe that there will be many places of refuge. There are not.
Notice, that according to John the Revelator, The Most High has prepared “a place,” not many places.
- And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared of God, where they should feed her there 1260 days.
Revelation 12:6 KJVm
A PLACE BEST DESCRIBED AS A PEN
- I will surely gather all of you, Jacob; I will surely bring together the remnant of Israel. I will bring them together like sheep in a pen, like a flock in its pasture; the place will throng with people.
Micah 2:12 NIV
THE OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM
There are many passages that identify this “place of refuge” as the Old City of Jerusalem. The stone walls of this ancient fortress, gives further credence to the prophet Micah’s description of a place that resembles a “pen.”
Three of the best descriptions come from the prophets Isaiah, Joel, and Zechariah.
1. THE PROPHET ISAIAH
According to Isaiah, the Most High is going to defend those of you that will be assembled in the Old City with “a cloud and smoke by day and a flaming fire by night”…
- And the Lord will create upon every dwelling place of Mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defense.
Isaiah 4:5 KJVm
…just as He defended Israel against Egypt while they were in the wilderness.
- And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
Exodus 13: 21 KJVm
Isaiah even goes as far as to identify Mount Zion, which is one of several mountains that the Old City of Jerusalem is built upon, as ‘the place of refuge.”
- And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the day time from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain.
Isaiah 4:6 KJV
2. THE PROPHET JOEL
Joel confirms Isaiah by stating that Mount Zion in Jerusalem is the place of deliverance for the Remnant which are “called.”
- And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call.
Joel 2:32 KJVm
3. THE PROPHET ZECHARIAH
Zechariah further confirms both Isaiah and Joel by stating that the Most High is going to battle the nations, therein protecting “the remnant of the people” that were not cut off from the Old City of Jerusalem…
- Behold, the day of the Lord is coming, and your spoil shall be divided in your midst. For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city will be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city will go into captivity, and the remnant of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then the Lord will go forth, and fight against those nations, as when He fought in the day of battle.
Zechariah 14:1-3 KJVm
…even providing instructions to “flee” at the appropriate time.
- And you shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, you shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord God shall come, and all the saints with you.
Zechariah 14:5 KJVm
We have been forewarned of the apocalyptic period called the Great Tribulation.
We have also been provided the Old City of Jerusalem…
…as the divine “Place of Refuge,” where those of you that reach this “place” (during the Greater Second Exodus) will be protected from the reaches of the Beast for the 1260 days of the Great Tribulation.